View Single Post
Old 6th May 2014, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviesbike View Post
I had the same fault on my 4.2 LWB and the W12 once and it is exactly that when it drops to below 94% efficiency it triggers the emissions light to come on. Very annoying when you think to drop 6% efficient is enough to trigger the light..

My solution was acctually cataclean ... then I discovered its no more than body shop paint cellulose thinners put in a bottle and sold at 8 pounds odd..

So I ended up buying a gallon of thinners from a body shop ..

I put 1L of thinners into a quater of a tank of fuel

And went for a good blast for about 1 hour lots of 2k cruising and then 5k manual gear from 40mph to 60 70 .. so its under load ..

Do this untill you have literally 10 miles left on the dis

Then go and fill up with half a tank or so ..

Then vag com it clear fault codes and it didnt come back again..

The thinners clears all the build up of laquers in the cats

After so many stops and starts maybe 10 from memory the cel light will go out with out vag com .. but if you have it just use it.

Saves a lot of money and can be repeated before mot for emissions ect ... I actually used red x injector cleaner after doing this just to make sure the rubbers are all lubed up and not dry..

Ive done this on 3 of my A8s now that had the same fault and it worked every time apart from once when I had to repeat and do it twice .. depends how caked up the cats are I guess
Glad to hear Im not alone, I will give this a go before getting my hands properly dirty. Will post the results when done