View Single Post
Old 13th September 2014, 07:04 AM

Nice write up Ian

I don't remember reading whether yours is ex-demo, with emphasis on the top end options? The demo car I had recently was SE spec with tiny wheels and little spec so missed out on most of this!

Was your B8 an early one? Reason for asking is that a lot of changes from a D3 feature on our S5 Sportback too, and if ours was a year newer and a facelift with the rectangular front fogs it would have even more of them.

Some shared experience with our new to us 2011 '5 mini brother to yours, in case others read this and think 'I just wish it was a bit smaller'

The 3G HDD nav (or tech pack high in B8 terms) includes the route options (you have to turn it on, it's off by default) but doesn't get full postcode. The directions overlay is also available if you select it. You have to go up to the 3GP (3G Plus) of the facelift to get Google maps, the fancy new graphics and an actual working RSAP capability with an iphone. Apparently nothing stopping people swapping the MMI unit to the 3GP - it's plug and play, near enough.

Keyless entry sounds the same as ours - didn't really want it after reports of earlier unreliability, but not having to dig the key out of your pocket is surprisingly useful! It has the touch sensitive handles rather than an actual button.

The A7 loaner I had recently had hill hold, which I found really useful with stop/start. Taking your foot off the brake would make the engine start, so it was ready to go as soon as lights changed. I'm actively looking at upgrading our S5 with it - apparently reasonably easy with a new switch and running 2 wires to the ABS module under the bonnet.

Stop/start is fitted because the NEDC drive cycle used for CO2 figures has a significant amount of time spent idling, which obviously if the engine cuts out equals zero emissions. It only really makes sense as a user if you spend a lot of time commuting in town traffic. Otherwise it's just odd and vaguely pointless! Only fitted on facelift '5s IIRC?

Only gripe I have about the Sportback shape as a whole is that there's no rear wiper - there really should be with such a large, flat, glass area. Obviously it sheets off eventually but it'd be nice if you could clear the glass. The lack of an auto tailgate option even on the S5 shape is a shame, but I guess comes down to a lack of space.

Folding door mirrors on the '5 can be specced on their own, but usually are only fitted if the memory seat pack has been added. Most don't have it, but as you say it's useful with 'advanced key' to confirm the car is locked. You do have a couple of seconds after locking to pull the handle to confirm it's locked, unlike my parents Lexus which just unlocks immediately!

I'm actually rather pleased to see there's a gulf between the available spec on the '5 and '7 - too often in modern cars you pick the size of body you want and spec everything you desire off the options list. It makes a halo model rather difficult to justify but in this case there's so many toys you can have on the '7 that just aren't available on the smaller models.

I really wish adaptive cruise was a more common option, but it sounds like yours has a much more sophisticated system than the B8 anyway. It's rocking horse poo to find it on a B8 of any type - seen maybe 4 with it in the time I've been looking at them.

Depending on whether the centre diff oil leak has been rectified on the D2 before ADI we may have to have a Sportback corner to the stand!

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC