View Single Post
Old 7th October 2012, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
There seem to be lots of identical-looking gearbox ECU's with part numbers starting 4D0 927 156 but various suffix letters.
Presumably the suffix is critical, anyone know what my late PF S8 needs, or do I need to "open the box" to check?
Well the thread I started separately on this subject has revealed the answer.
It seems I (most probably) have an ECX version 5HP24A gearbox and I definitely have a 4D0 927 156 BL TCU (confirmed by VCDS).
Member ainarssems said the BL is for use with ESP (which I obviously have) and there's a BM version for non-ESP.

Since having the gearbox fluid/filter change I've had no more thumps, just the odd "twitch" and since the gearbox coding change from 00101 to 00111 (which I think turns off DSP) it's been even smoother though I have had one "twitch" today.

This was going up a steepish hill from a junction, fairly straight, probably in 3rd heading for 4th and again felt as if it couldn't decide what gear to use. Following that I tried to recreate it in "tip" mode and couldn't - it wouldn't misbehave when in any gear even with a heavy right foot and forced changes up were all fine.

The only thing I haven't tried yet is to see whether having ESP on or off changes anything when in Drive. Given that there are ESP and non-ESP versions of the TCU it's just one more thing to try. Also most earlier occurences have been in situations where ESP might just be "considering" doing something.

Given that I've been told the middle gear changes have been "tweaked" (though I have no details of how) I'm still leaning towards trying a replacement TCU when other options are exhausted.

Any and all suggestions welcome on what to check and how.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 7th October 2012 at 03:53 PM.