View Single Post
Old 6th May 2013, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloss View Post
3 X X X X : Bi-xenon headlights with LED daylight driving lights and AFS

Would re-coding to that make the car stop throwing an error on non LED DRLs?
AFS = AFL = adaptive front lighting.
Yes, I coded a 3 instead of 4 there.
This coding immediatly turns off the 21W DRLs and cancels the broken bulb error on the dash - but it also makes the sidelight bulb on in the day and glows like a glow-worm at night, effectively you no longer have sidelights because they are so dim. That is why I ran a link wire from the sidelight to the DRL (now swapped for bright LED).

The 1156 LED and W5W LED are now on in the day without an error code, and is dimmed to 9% at night or when parked. This is how cars that came from the factory with LED DRL work too.

I shouldn't get any more MOT advisories about DRL error warning which may be an MOT failure now that they are supposed to check for any warning lights - not sure if the DRLs are included in this scope.

A better but harder way would be to remove the headlight plug and swap the two pins around in the connector if you have a pin extraction tool.

Note before I modified anything, coding for LED DRL did not cause any error messages on the dash or in VCDS, so if you code for that and get errors due to a different headlight, then it may not be worth proceeding.

Last edited by snapdragon; 8th May 2013 at 09:58 AM.