View Single Post
Old 16th March 2023, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
Not familiar with any of this, but the following page on the Audi site seems to imply that you need to purchase a 'data package' from their partner:

https://www.audi.co.uk/uk/web/en/own...i-hotspot.html

There is a link on that page to see if your vehicle is compatible, but it shows the Q7 only being compatible from 2016.

It might be worth chasing it up with Audi directly, for confirmation.
Thanks. I expect that's for the newer MMI on he new shape Q7 (4M).

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
I think if you want to give them a hotspot use your phone, or one dedicated to the job, your vintage of car will be at least 2 generations old technology and won't get the bandwidth, even if (extremely unlikely) it has the capability.

You really need 4G or better 5G connectivity, your car was built in the 3G era and as we know car non-automotive "tech" is usually way behind anyway.

In fact several networks are starting to turn off the 3G signals so your car may not have any connection at all before long, or not in all areas.
I'm sure it'll be quite slow on the bandwidth, mobile tech has moved on a long way since 2011. At this point I'm more curious to see if I can get it to work but the convenience of it might be useful for holidays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonupkid View Post
I have a (Smarty) sim in my MMI High 3G and it works great. Anyone (with the password) can access the car system/arial which is a significant improvement on a stand-alone smartphone sitting inside what is in effect a signal blocking Faraday cage.
Many a time I, or a passenger has been unable to get a signal until I switch on the ignition which activates the cars sim.
That's interesting your 3G High has it, maybe it was an option or perhaps the 8 had a better version of MMI. I don't have Google Earth (albeit discontinued anyway) option on mine, so perhaps it's a software update that's required although I have the latest version for mine according to what I can see.

Actually checked the SIM and it seems to be out of credit so not sure if that would impact the menu options.
'00 Audi S8 Agate Grey (Sold )
'11 Audi Q7 4.2tdi Unknown Red (Classic Red Pearl Effect - thanks MJ)