View Single Post
Old 30th July 2023, 04:53 PM

Holy thread resurrection time!
I've finally decided to get rid of the Dell latitude, moving it on to a friend/neighbour who needs a laptop to run some old accounting software, so I think he could be using Hyper-V for that.

The little Dell XPS13 notebook that supplants it is only licensed for "Home" versions of Windows, but I've upgraded it to W11 and added Hyper-V as noted earlier in the thread, a quick and easy process that seems to "stick" as new major updates are installed.
I did have a go at installing a "Native" Elsawin, but the Hyper-V version I already have works perfectly well on this unit so I have abandoned that as it was a bit slow and tedious to set up. The Bentley online version of their D2 manual seems to have disappeared as well, even though it shows in my account on their web site.

So I'm back to a basic "D2 support kit" of a Dell XPS13 with VCDS and Hyper-V running Bentley and Elsawin-4 on XP (separate VMs). The advantage of the VM approach is that they are totally portable to any other Hyper-V system without any authentication etc. issues.

So, the upshot of this is, if any of you are running laptops for VCDS with Windows 10 or 11 Home it's perfectly possible to easily add a Bentley D2 manual and/or Elsawin 4 using Hyper-V. Happy to help anyone who needs assistance with that.
(Note that the Bentley VM is just over 3GB but Elsawin is almost 25GB, together they will fit on a 32GB SD card)
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 30th July 2023 at 05:46 PM.