View Single Post
Old 26th July 2020, 02:19 PM

I had a test drive in a Model 3 performance yesterday (new contract incoming, outside IR 35 ), here's my summary:

Performance is incredible - it's not news that these are quick, but they are, very quick Was very impressed with handling and grip too - it was raining quite heavily, and a heavy right foot, that would have had my M4 pointing in the oposite direction, did not trouble it at all. Steering seemed very direct and very quick. Ride a touch hard, but forgiveable.

However, I won't be buying a Model 3 because:

1. Still not convinced of the charging network - we drive across to Estonia every 2-3 years to visit the outlaws, neither the car nor the Tesla website could find us a route, with charging, other than via the 16 hour ferry from Stockholm. No route presented via land, only seemed to get as far as Warsaw, then nothing

2. The horrible plastic steering wheel - possibility to get this retrimmed, but would be nervous of disrupting the electronics/controls/warranty by removing the wheel

3. The seats! Quite soft and comfortable, but the length of the seat squab is just far too short for my long legs, a deal breaker

A Model S or X might address points 2 and/or 3, but the issue of charging east of Warsaw needs to be resolved before I make the plunge to an electric powerplant.

You might have guessed I am getting ready to replace the M4. Also tried a LR Discovery yesterday, quite liked that and some good deals on them atm. Going to try a few other alternatives first, including a D5
2000 FL D2 4.2 QS - SOLD 2011