Thread: One for IT guys
View Single Post
Old 16th October 2015, 09:13 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Well, firstly I wouldn't bother with RAID 5 even if it was an option. RAID 5 pretty much became useless several years ago once drive capacities began exceeding 2TB:
http://www.zdnet.com/article/why-rai...rking-in-2009/

For my business customers, where possible I always choose RAID 10 or RAID 1, especially for mission-critical servers. The reason for using mirrored RAID arrays of course is to provide fault tolerance. In other words, it's a convenience thing, rather than a 'backup', to reduce down-time in the event of a drive failure.

So, it depends on how mission-critical your system is. If reducing down-time was an important factor, I'd use a pair of drives in RAID 1 and perhaps keep the remaining bay as a hot swap, backup drive or just extra storage for less important files. If, on the other hand, down-time was less important than storage capacity, I'd probably use 3 drives in RAID 0. As long as everything is backed up, a failed drive just means the server is going to be down for a while until you've replaced it and recovered from backups.

Also, how are you calculating the power consumption comparisons? I would be surprised if the difference is that great.

How much would you be looking to sell the Poweredge for? And does it come with dual PSUs and rack rails?
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust