Thread: One for IT guys
View Single Post
Old 16th October 2015, 11:24 PM

I can see the point Mark is making - if the typical read error rate of a large capacity drive is inevitably higher than the error rate that a RAID array can cope with rebuilding from, you're doomed to fail....

Mine's basically a media server for TV/music/films that happens to maintain backups of my desktop and laptop, so there's nothing critical on there. I guess RAID 5 with a load more discs reduces the chances of a failed drive causing a failed rebuild as the missing data may be on another drive?

Just replaced the desktop HDD with a 4TB WD Black due to running short of space! Elsawin takes up a shed load....

At some point I really should sort out a cloud based/off site backup option, given a house fire would lose us everything digital!

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC