Thread: One for IT guys
View Single Post
Old 17th October 2015, 09:10 AM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delboy View Post
clearly i need to come bavl and read this when im sobber, i know my nax is raid 5. so the big wuestion is what should i be doinf ?
Sai Wut?

Well, as long as you have backups, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Essentially, the problem with RAID 5 is that, by the nature of how it works, the amount of data that has to be written to rebuild an array of large capacity drives (>2TB) after a replacing a failed drive, exceeds that of the theoretical failure rate of most mechanical drives. Therefore, the chances of further data write failures during rebuild becomes likely.

In enterprise environments, most systems administrators have known about the dangers of RAID 5 for years so it's relatively uncommon. For residential use, RAID 5 is still surprisingly popular, but then having a server/NAS fail in a home-setup will probably be nothing more than inconvenient.

You do have to remember that RAID data mirroring is a convenience thing. Some people confuse the data mirroring aspect of it with backing up, which of course it's not. Everything is mirrored between drives, including corruptions and all deletions (be it intentional or malicious).

RAID 1/10 is generally considered 'best practice' amongst most IT professionals who work with medium to large businesses. For my server setups, I generally have a pair of SSDs in RAID 1 for the Operating System and RAID 10 for both the internal storage and NAS/SAN external storage and backup devices. Rarely do the severs or storage devices I install have any less than 4 bays though.

If you have less than 4 bays available, and you need the convenience of being able to swap-out a failed drive with little-to-no down-time, I'd recommend RAID 1. If you don't need that convenience, RAID 5 is fine, though bear in mind that it (theoretically at least) provides little more fault tolerance than RAID 0.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
Surely the type of RAID you chose depends on what you want to achieve, e.g. performance, redundancy, fast-fix, rapid recovery etc.
Precisely.
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust