View Single Post
Old 13th July 2018, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conquistador View Post
Most likely the heat. The glass is being heated all day long then you jump in and blast the aircon on your face and windows which cools the glass quicker than it ever would naturally. The glass is fighting against two extremes and something has to give eventually under those circumstances.

Same goes for you. There may have already been a small chip which you didn't notice and the heat and cooling has caused the crack.
So it's one of these things I have thought about often in the past few months, suppose you live in the Canaries / North Africa. These cars are tested to survive the environment there, as well as waaaay up north, such as Glasgow or Reykjavík. There are regional specific parts to every car, but the basics of the car should survive between the extremes.

So in theory, I agree the extreme heat might be causing problems, but it doesn't sit right....

Only windscreen I ever had spontaneously crack was in a cabriolet while in a back road blast with a motorbike, went round one corner and hit an odd bump in the road, which caused the car to bounce strangely, like during a left turn the car essentially bounced 2ft to the right (at last that's how it felt). Didn't notice the fracture in the bottom corner of the windscreen until I got back out.