View Single Post
Old 4th June 2017, 07:22 PM

Well here's an update.

I got a genuine bosch crank sensor. As in it came from bosch direct from germany, so definitely genuine. I didnt even get the six days of happy hot starting. God only knows why I got 6 days from the intermotor one. I really can't explain that and i'm really really p*ssed off now. Got stuck 30 miles from home and had to ask several people for a jump styart before anyone actually said yes.

It is vaguely possible that the sensor was the wrong one as when i ordered it with the part number off the original I was told it had been superceded and the last digit was different. The cable was maybe 6 inches shorter but otherwise it was identical.

exact same symptoms as before. My next line of enquiry is going to be the starter motor. When it's cranking over and not starting it is turning between 150 - 160 rpm. When I jump it, it's definitely turning over faster, although my generic cheapo obd reader doesnt react fast enough to tell me the speed before it started.

Has anyone tried removing a started from a 4.0 tdi before? is it an engine out job? If i can get it out and on the bench then its an easy job to see if it is in need of a refurb, and I can easily clean up the commutator on my lathe, fit new brushes etc and hopefully that will be it........ If thats the problem!!