Thread: Wanted: D3 A8
View Single Post
Old 23rd June 2018, 11:52 PM

I've got one if you are interested!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey Blueeyes View Post
I have a similar quandary (re mileage) as I'm looking for my first foray into A8 ownership and I'm in no rush, quite happy to wait six months to find the right car after I've decided what I actually want!

However I look at it like this; If i'm looking to spend £7000 on a car, that's not far off 10/15% of it's new price. The depreciation, the biggest cost, is mostly out of the car entirely so my cost is maintenance.

Now I can't speak specifically for A8's as I've never had one but I know from previous incarnations of other reasonably large engine barges that I always want to buy on condition over mileage.

I once paid £1000 for a Lexus LS400 with 187,000 and in 25,000 miles over 18 months it never cost me more than a service at the local garage and a set of wipers! It looked amazing at 200k and I sold it for £1400 and it was worth every penny.

This type of car can often be difficult to shift into old age so relax, buy the best cared for example you can find and enjoy it knowing that someone once paid £50000 more than you did for the same privilege! And you'll probably only lose £3000 over 3 years. Buy a good one and you're laughing! You're gonna lose more money in maintenance than depreciation so buy the best in the first place!