View Single Post
Old 18th December 2020, 10:40 PM

I noticed that mine was more likely to work when doing left turn and more likely to not work when doing right turn. So it seemed like classic brush/commutator wear problem. As a result I attacked it without spare control module on standby and it was faulty fan motor and now with replacement aftermarket fan it works as it should. Comparing to D2 there was a lot of stuff to remove to get to it but it was easier overall. Also drawing comparisons I can say that on D2 when it failed the brushes were very low and commutator was worn through but on D3 the brushes are low but very little wear on commutator. Could be that copper alloy or brushes are more advanced on D3 resulting in less wear to metal in D3 or maybe somebody already replaced brushes on my D2 in the past and it had already gone through 2nd set. D2 had solar roof and fan failed about 130k, D3 no solar and 180k miles. I guess I will see if I can get replacement brushes for original motor, replace then and keep t as spare or sell on.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure