View Single Post
Old 4th September 2019, 01:58 PM

Didn't get chance to test on Saturday but have done some driving around today.

There are some bad news and good news.

Bad news are that it's 1st, 2nd and 3rd affected not just 1st and it comes up with 17117 and 17114 fault codes, so that would point to fault with A drum.

Good news is that it is intermittent so I think it is less likely to be major mechanical failure, more like something sticking.

Moving off in 1st almost always slips. If I put it in Tiptronic move off slowly and do not switch over manually I can see it slipping, switching to 2nd, sometimes slipping in 2nd, sometimes not. If slipping in 2nd it switches to 3rd, if slipping in 3rd it switches to 4th and never slipping in 4th or 5th. Then if I manually switch back to lower gears they are usually fine and not slipping even with heavy throttle as much as I can push without activating kickdown. And it keeps working fine and not slipping in any gears not even in 1st. But if I come to standstill like at the junction it will slip again in 1st. If downshifting hard with high revs it does make a noise, possibly sucking in air if oil level is off. So I think before I do anything else I will need to check oil level, hopefully Friday or Saturday. The problem is to get under car and to keep it level to check oil level and by the time I get to somewhere with a lift oil will be too hot.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure

Last edited by ainarssems; 4th September 2019 at 02:00 PM.