View Single Post
Old 21st August 2012, 03:01 AM

Default D3 fender repeaters

Well, One thing about the D2 of which I'm not a fan is the fender repeater. Much like all VW/Audi products of the era, it seems just thrown onto the car. I do like the D3 style however, and decided to do a retrofit of sorts on the car. The benefit to the D3 style of course is its placement in the belt trim, in a less perceivable location. And, with me changing much of my lighting to LED, I feel the D3 unit will be a better choice all in all.

Here is the D3 unit:

I started by removing the stock repeaters and belt trim:

I then removed the chrome/aluminum trim from the molding and cut out a pocket into which the repeater will fit. Getting it to fit in a level manner is a challenge. I think I have it close, but am not done with the fit yet:

As you've noticed, I'm showing photos of both sides, I don't really pay attention to what I'm photographing when I work.

I then had to cut a slot into the fender of the car for the repeater to fit into. It will get sprayed at the same time as the rest of the fender and will be fine.

I cut out two aluminum patches for the original repeater recesses using what we call a "nibbler." It is an air powered tool for cutting sheet metal. Aluminum is a bit different to cut than regular sheet but it still works:

These are not a perfect fit, but close enough that once welded into place everything will look factory. I'm having the welding done by a friend in the next couple days, then finishing the work and painting.

I need to finish the plastic work as well. I'm using 3m panel bonding two-part for that (it is a do-all around our shop, doesn't shrink and show lines, very strong, just a great, modern product). I messed up the aluminum pieces cutting them- one too short by a hair and the other I hit with the blade I was using. I'm ordering used ones and will try again. Once I'm done this will be very OEM looking, I do good work (not to be a braggart), been doing bodywork with my family for 9 years, and have family that's been in the business for 30+ (I'm in university to be an attorney now, do this work in the summer to make some money, and build my cars).

As I continue with the body and paint, and final fitment, I'll update. Thanks for taking the time to take a look!