Thread: Lifting an S8
View Single Post
Old 17th January 2022, 05:21 PM

Default Lifting an S8

Hello

I have been looking at getting a scissor lift set-up for working on my cars, such as the Quick Jack or Kwik Lift. The problem I have is that the two cars I mainly want to work on are rather different in size - the D2 S8 and a 205 GTI.

It looks like the only way that a single setup would work with both cars is if I lifted the S8 by spreading the load along the sills, as a scissor lift that is wide enough to catch the S8 lift points is typically too long to fit between the 205 wheels. I am assuming this is an absolute no (and to date I have always just used the rubber lift points with jacks/stands) but I though I would ask the experts out there before completely writing off the idea…

The only set-up I have found that actually fits the S8 is the BL-6000XLT Quick Jack, which is their biggest model and will be getting on for around £2000 including delivery, which is a bit much for something that only works on one car...

Annoyingly the Kwik Lift unit (which would fit under the 205) has extenders for larger cars, but they only reach to 1678mm, and the S8 is about 1880mm from outside edge-outside edge on the lift points. This setup would have been about £1400 including delivery, which would have been quite reasonable if it had done both cars!

Any thoughts would be welcome!

Scott