Thread: House Work
View Single Post
Old 17th July 2014, 11:29 AM

When we looked at the house the box room has a single bed and a bedside table in it.
It was ok as a guest room but we......I, needed the space for other things.
Since we moved in its been a dumping ground for anything that should be in the house with no idea where to put.

The main thing that was taking up space and having to be stacked in a way to stop it from falling over or damaged was mass of Star Trek folders I collected when I was in my Teens.
Being a bit of a hoarder and sentimental fool, I could not bring myself to part with them. So I decided to build a shelf for them in the box room.
With box rooms being box rooms and lacking space, I did not want them to take valuable wall space. I thought about putting them above the door.

There's enough room for a shelf and the self I like is the correct depth.

This was a good idea at first, till I start loading it up with folders. This was a learning curve for me. Floating shelves can't hold the amount of paper I wanted it to hold.
So I made up a suspension bracket on one side and used a bit of word on the other side to keep up.
You can see the block of wood holding it up on the left (Still needs painting).

The suspension bracket thingy I made for the other side.

As you can see from the 2nd picture, I made a slight calculation error with the size that I needed.
And one folder is left over.

With the folders out of the way, its time to build a desk for the computer and my soldering kit.

I wanted the desk to be used for the PC, Soldering and general office duties. I did not want legs in the way taking up space, so I wanted to use the whole espance of the back wall. That gave me space, light from the window and left the rest of the room open.
This raised one issue or two. Strength being the main one.
I did not think normal desktops would support the load that might end up on it and I did not like the look of them.
I took a trip to B&Q and see what they got.
They had an offer on kitchen worktops.
Something like £40 for a full length worktop and they had one in a colour I liked.
Brilliant, bought it and took it home with me.

Despite the fact that the kitchen worktop is thicker than most of the other worktops I would have used I was still paranoid of it holding up.

First off, the side supports.

I made a gallows bracket.

Mounted the worktop on.

with the worktop screwed down, power cables ran. It was time to put my kit on.

Got a couple of little bits left to do in the box room but for now its useable and removed some more boxes from the floor.
Soft close Doors & Boot, Electric Blinds, Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth HandFree, Quad Zone Climate, APS+, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Heated Seats All Round, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Sunroof, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons AFS2, Dab, Digital TV, Reversing Camera, AV Inputs, Fridge, Solar Roof, TPMS, facelift rear lights, 3G, remote boot closure, Tow Bar.

Last edited by ScottD3; 17th July 2014 at 12:11 PM.