View Single Post
Old 8th January 2013, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S8PKP View Post
Put a D2 A8 next to a D3 and there's a massive difference.

This is true. I drove past a parked up D3 whilst I was at work the other day. Turned round and had a cruise past at walking pace for a really good look at it. I couldn't believe the bulk of it. I couldn't compare it directly to the D2 as I was driving a work car at the time, but it looked massive. And for the mix of roads I do, I'd say the D2 A8 is about as big as would be practical for me. Bigger than that and I'd struggle down some of the country lanes near my house!

But the market demands 'bigger' because they've confused it with 'better'. I suspect the next A8 will be even bigger! I walked into a Lexus dealership a little while ago, making a work related enquiry. Aside from being very impressed with the service there, I couldn't help but notice the GS 450h. It looked like something from a naval war museum. Massive slab sides, impossibly long, an ungainly look not helped by the high roofline and scrappy front end styling.

I laughed about it with the girl at the counter, she candidly told me the new LS 600l was even more ridiculously outsized, but they didn't have any in because they were a very slow seller.