View Single Post
Old 24th June 2017, 10:10 AM

Some good points of view here as well, cryptocurrencies haven't been on my radar so that's a good nudge for me to look at. Gold. Is also a good shout although I've worked for Paulson investments and there is a warning story about gold if ever I've seen one. Some trusts hold physical gold, like PAT (Personal Assets Trust) but you pay a premium for that level of safety, but a lot depends on your age, plans for the future and attitude to risk. I'm 42 and I'm using my S&S ISA as a pension alternative, divi paying stocks and trusts, reinvesting for holding and capital gains. Every so often I'll dabble with something fruity...

The shell story is a good one, buy good companies when hammered and hold on the upswing, Lloyds, BP, BAE and RR are like that for me.

The plan being that if something goes wrong with my health or otherwise, I can cash out and access the funds instantly. If diagnosed with something awful, I'll cash out and travel the world until I can't anymore.

If live is normal, as I hope, then I have a portfolio I can switch to income generation instead of reinvestment and draw down off that tax-free.

Last edited by 1781cc; 24th June 2017 at 10:15 AM.