View Single Post
Old 2nd September 2014, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Laird View Post
How's the road noise?

When I got my S8 it had Nankang tyres on it and I thought the bearings were going, they were so noisy. I swapped to Vredesteins which were great when new, but now they're getting a bit 'thin', the wet grip is not so good and the road noise at 'higher' speeds is awful: a recent 300 mile long motorway journey left me with a headache!

What I want is a good quality tyre, with good wet grip, a long life and low road noise. I'm begining to think that some of these are mutually exclusive.

Any candidates?
Well Jim, I'm not really please with the sound.
Toyo Proxes T1 Sport were quieter at the exactly same wear level, 5mm.
I was shocked and I don't really understand this.
If you check the db for each tyre, they all are between 71-73 db were nankang is quieter than michelin, pirelli, toyo, just go to mytyres co uk.
WTF??? How is doing this noise tests, are they high while doing it, because a 1db between toyo and michelin sound like having tyres on or not.
I don't get it.

Jim, I would really really try Toyo Proxes T1 Sport, dual compound, great in wet and dry, quieter than michelin, good wear, and audi puts them on s5 and a6.
I was really pleased with them when comparing to previous dunlops maxx and pirellis.

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten