View Single Post
Old 13th March 2018, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moltuae View Post
The greater closing force wouldn't bother me ( ... though I wonder if there's a way you could safely let a little gas out, or have them 're-gassed' at a lower pressure?). My present (SGS) gas struts take a similar amount of force to close the boot but they're a little creaky so I was thinking of going back to OEM.

If the chrome struts were supplied new with some vehicles, you'd think there'd be a separate VAG part number for them. There's no part number on them I assume?
Just checked and no identifying details at all on them. As for the closing force, I did not that one was stronger than the other. That could just be down to use. Maybe my originals were past their best. Hard to say without some sort of meter to test them.

I just mentioned the force part just in case someone decided to replace theirs and then didn't like how they operated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete-p View Post
Just a thought... would it not be easier/cheaper to use some chrome vinyl wrap on the existing struts?
A chrome wrap might be another way to go, but with the rust on the existing ones, I would have thought that this would have to have been rubbed down to get a smoother surface, and also a surface that is unlikely to give way. The pistons also have rounded ends which needs sorting as well. If you've used vinyl wrap before, it might be an option.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds