View Single Post
Old 14th August 2018, 09:10 AM

Exclamation Nightmare - driving wrong way on a dual carrigeway

I heard about it before but never thought I would encounter it myself.
I was driving on a dual carrigeway near Luton after dropping off my mum off at the airport, in the rain. A van in front of me and a car overtaking the van. The car quickly pulls in after overtaking the van on a rise. What came next is unbelievable, a car comes past the other way in the inside lane doing about 70mph! I barely register this and go to overtake the van too as its sinking in.
The van starts breaking on top of the rise, I am in the inside lane trying to overtake him. Another complete idiot is coming towards us on the inside lane.
I am braking and pulling back in behind the van who has stopped (also an idiot! should have kept moving forward slowly), the abs has already kicked in. I realise I am going to hit the van.
Seeing that the idiot driving the wrong way in the fast lane has slowed down I think I have enough time to go round the van and get back in the outside lane.
I barely miss the van, still breaking with abs working, sail round him and back into the outside lane.
The wrong-way idiot drives past us at around 40mph.

I simply cant believe that two complete morons were driving together the wrong way on a dual carrigeway in the rain in the evening. I hope there were
no accidents further down as there were some cars behind us.
There were cut-throughs to the correct side so perhaps they realised their mistake and went back.

That was very close, if we encountered them a few seconds earlier or later and things could have ended very differently.

Last edited by Goran; 14th August 2018 at 09:12 AM.