View Single Post
Old 22nd April 2009, 07:18 PM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

Default Is the downhill on the other side of the summit?

The answer is no! When doing something like this be prepared for a number of false summits. Just when you think it's all downhill you bump into the next cliff hiding in the cloud.

This morning I was determined to get the engine out today. By lunchtime I was determined to get the passenger side suspension stripped in this lifetime! One bolt, just one bolt! What is it with me and nuts and bolt? I'll tell you what it is....... They know when your on a tight time line. They do! They know and I hear them talking to each other!!! Plotting, always plotting. Muhahahaha

So. Today's plan. Whip off the passengers suspension, disconnect the last of the loom, disconnect the propshaft and remove the nearside Cat. Get the forklift in with a pallet, undo the subframe securing bolts and Bob's your mothers brother. Home in time for lunch.

You just know I didn't get home for lunch. However I am home and it is done. The locking bolt at the top of the hub carrier that locks in the 2 top control arms is no more. The bolts that held the Cat to the down pipe are no more. My friendship with the bloke who offered to help me this morning is no more and I won't pay his hospital bills either!
But the engine is out. It all took a lot longer than I expected, however, the Germans remain a logical and methodological race, so a few photos:

The other side....

A nifty little hand powered fork lift in place and taking the weight and the engine it brought out as I pulled

The subframe set up ready for stripping

And finally what you will see if you look up your own tunnel!

I am also able to boast I did it on my own. I did have some early help but he put his oily hand on my paintwork! He'll be picking his nose left handed for a while..........

Muhahahahaha

Disclaimer:

I am not a Schizophrenic fantasist.
Yes I am and so am I.

The truth is out there. Not in the budget.

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
1997 4.2 A8SQ - the Projekt. 12 years and ongoing!
1997 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. Restoration sat waiting; saved from the Scrapyard
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.
2005 C5 Allroad 2.5TDi FE - Grey - Workhorse.
2015 Q3QS SLine - Daytona Grey. Lots of extras! Long Haired Admirals cutter.

Previously
2003 C5 A6 1.9TDI FWD - Loaner from D2 Doctor Lifex
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
2003 2.8 A8SQ - powder blueish. Fill in for a while. Sold on.
1998 1.8T A4 Avant FWD. Ming Blue (there's a theme here), PEX for the 97 S8.
And a list of non VAG going back 40 years before I saw the light.