View Single Post
Old 13th June 2009, 08:12 AM
wizzard1222

Default Limp mode...replace filter & fluid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan_the_Librarian View Post
I have done a few engine replacements and got some strange engines into cars they weren't designed for. But that was back in the late 70s and early S when things were much simpler.

Just been out for a full rampage. All as sweet as a nut. Steering is noticeable crisper and the lump didn't miss a beat. So I am a happy bunny.

However comma, the Tran has thrown a fault code that I will post in the appropriate section. Don't think it's related as i have had it before intermittently.
Before my 1998 A8 timing belt skip....I had my transmission going the famed "Limp mode". My Audi was used by NJ County Police Commander...but I did not have any service history....assume the worst!

I researched the net for several weeks and found Audi pages.com I read and followed their tyranny service suggestions after drawing the conclusion that it would be an expensive tyranny service @ the dealer or some independent (seems that only a few brave Ase's will even work on an Audi around here {Saint Louis, Mo. area}). I sourced the AFT fluid, filter and gasket.

This was difficult because they sent the wrong gasket from one supplier & couldn't get the right one...sent the whole bunch back and re-ordered from another supplier...they sent the wrong gasket as well but 10 days later I have the right one in hand....time a wasting!

I blocked the Audi up in my driveway...level. Had the Audi hooked up to vagcom....followed the adages.com directions. Two day process of draining the AFT w/weather conditions...and filled it back up.

Slow and easy on the blocks while testing and the wheels rolling! Everything was working nicely. Dropped the Audi off the blocks and slowly walked it around the neighborhood for a few days. Working nicely

The "lifetime AFT" is a bunch of crap! Mine was very dark and the pan was full of shaving on the magnets! I did not know at the time to check the solenoids or I would have done that process as well.

Conan: Did you service your tyranny and/or the oil cooler while you have the opportunity on the "swap process"?

If I end of having to do an used engine swap, I am planning to do almost anything that can or would possibly leak or squawk due to age or usage. I had a (some) vacuum leaks causing misfires...found them in the Audi plastic T's in the vacuum lines around the engine heads!...finally sourced them @ a dealer with generic plastic T's for $1 @....little things like this are a pain so if you have the engine fully out and exposed...it seems like the time to do anything you can...save time & $Money

Thanks again Conan for your time and willingness to share your experiences with all of us...@ ahhh...boy!