View Single Post
Old 17th December 2017, 12:01 PM

"Forks all the way down" I shall be watching a few more of his videos

By way of a personal update, my Vega rig has been running flawlessly for a week It took some doing, but its happily doing 3.7KH/s on the Vegas and 62H/s on the i3 CPU and makes about 10 ETN an hour.

I think the majority of the stability issues were caused by three things:

1, trying to use the Vega as primary GPU - they do not like being in PCIe2 for some reason. I'm using the iGPU now with HDMI emulators in the Vegas and they are fine with no loss of hash rate after 3-4 days. The cards are in PCIe1 and PCIe3.

2, temperatures with the default fan algorithm are far too high. The GPU cores were running at 75* with the memory much hotter I think. Turning the base fan speed up to 2500rpm from 400 has them running at 55* core temp @ 2800rpm.

3, overclocking too far. These two cards will not run at the figures suggested by Gandalph3000 - they just hang at random. They're running well at -20% GPU freq, 935MHz ram, -20% power cap with the rig at 400W total (80W at idle). Curiously, with the same settings one card is consistently 50-100H/s faster than the other - one at 1850H/s and one usually over 1900. Trying to push them to 2000 each just makes them crash.

Also, I'm using XMR-Stak instead of Cast-XMR. Cast shows 100H/s higher on-screen than Stak, but Stak reports much higher rates on the pool than Cast and finds more shares somehow. Cast runs just under 10ETN an hour, Stak is just over 10.

They did Monero for a few days on MiningPoolHub too, and were making about £7 a day after electricity which is not bad - thats 4 months ROI at full price. I'm going to collect a decent stash of ETN in December and then will probably follow you guys over to MRR

It sits in the 'redundant since I got a combi-boiler' airing cupboard making nice warm air on the landing I might pipe it some cold air from the loft, and possibly add sound-deadening foam to the inside of the cupboard!

Btw, Scan are taking pre-orders for the next batch of Vegas including the Red Devil, albeit at rather more than they were before: https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer...graphics-cards
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	miningrig.jpg
Views:	450
Size:	163.7 KB
ID:	17635  

Last edited by MikkiJayne; 17th December 2017 at 12:12 PM.