View Single Post
Old 16th August 2020, 03:33 PM

Very useful Ainars. And on studying them a fairly simple correlation:
Basically contacts 1, 2, 3 ,4, 5 and 8 are the same between both types. Pin 6 however is unused on the 10-pin so it has 9.
6&7 on the 8-pin are 9&10 on the 10-pin (P/N signal which is faulty on my car).
1&8 is the reversing light circuit on the 8-pin, so shares pin 1 with other functions. It's separated out onto pins 7&8 on the 10-pin.

It looks like pin 1 has battery voltage on both types plus pin 7 on the 10-pin (to supply the reversing light).
So rewiring shouldn't be too difficult. Unless there are separate fuses on the two power supplies in the later loom.

Additionally I note that:
S is equivalent to 4th gear. (As you'd probably expect)
Pin 2 says "Car in P, N or D".
Pin 3 says "Car in R, N or 4/S".
Pin 4 says "Car in N, D, 4/S or 2".
Pin 5 says "Car in D, 4/S or 3".
I assume this is some sort of 4-bit binary coding picked up by the TCU. I'll work out what it is shortly, unless a younger IT brain beats me to it!

Basically I think pins 2 to 5 tell the TCU what gear has been selected. Pin 1 is presumably power.
The other section of pins control the starter relay and power the reversing light. Both pretty directly, no ECUs involved.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 16th August 2020 at 05:56 PM.