View Single Post
Old 15th October 2021, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conquistador View Post
Do you not think a significant amount of X owners will sway towards the Y as well?

UK buyers are now accustomed to that commanding SUV driving position, and that's only been offered at a price in excess of £100,000... until now.

Is it fair to see it as a 'mini X'?
Yes. Although - as you pointed out, it's at a completely different - mass market-ish - price point. The Model X really is a bit of a niche product, and the general consensus is the Y will be Tesla's biggest seller across Europe.

For me, the issue is less about cannibalising Model 3 sales (which it will do, but not to a large extent, IMO), but more about it attracting non-Tesla owners to an SUV product.

This is a really key segment in the UK, and there are a number of other SUV EVs starting to be offered by competitors - e.g. the wife of a Model S buddy of mine has just taken delivery of a Q4 e-tron (the first 'decent' Audi EV, in my opinion) - though he's expecting to swap that out for a Model Y when that arrives in the right form.

So it's good to have some decent choice, at last!

Autos Autos everywhere...
(1) 2015 Tesla Model S: (was 85D, now 90D ). Silent and deadly, and very fast... But not as fast as Ian's M3P-
(2) 2002 D2 S8 Final Edition: Bulletproof and faultless: Brilliant Black with Extended (Red!) Leather. Three-times winner of Best D2 1st prize
(3) 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo: Scots (! ) Green. Fragile, but beautiful.
(4) 2010 Fiat Panda 100HP. White Pandamonium (Final Edition!!). Pure old-fashioned 6-speed go-karting.