View Single Post
Old 5th November 2021, 05:58 PM

Having now had the corrosion dealt with i came to the aerial re-assembly. The link provided to me by MJ for states that fitment for the aerial grommet is for A/S8 but when it arrived it had part No 8D0 not 4D0 and on inspection was a different shape with a perceptibly different angle of the shoulder which, naturally, would affect the angle of the aerial. It was of a VERY much harder plastic too which had no "give" in it at all. having discussed this with MJ and the issues of 3D printing i thought that would go ahead and see how this fitted. Putting it in boiling water, softened it completely and it went in with no force at all. Then, using a heat gun, i gave it a quick warm up before inserting the aerial which, with a smear of vaseline on the O-ring, just slipped in easy. (I'm desperately avoiding double entendres here - so glad Dezzy isnt around too often)
The possible angle issue just wasn't apparent after fitting. it looks OEM
So, in short, the replacement grommet works well and the lesson learnt is that warming before both removal and insertion makes the job a 100% easier.