Thread: One for IT guys
View Single Post
Old 17th October 2015, 01:21 PM

I had two NASes before but they were too slow, underpowered and lacked flexibility so I ditched them and bought Dell server. 20-30MB/s transfer speeds from NAS were not good enough for me, on Dell I am getting 110-112MB/s which is pretty much the limit of 1Gbps network. Besides that fully blown server lets me run all kinds of software say the same ElsaWin installed on server and then PC/Laptop only need small client installed. It also runs CCTV, acts as a router as I ditched BT Hub and I am just using open reach modem and then Cisco access point for wireless, it does VPN to log on home network remotely and some other soft as well.

Installing ESXi did not go to plan it wanted at least 4GB of RAM but with 4GB installed there is only 3.84 available. I will update RAM in the future but just want to get it up and running at the moment. I do not really need ESXi as I don't need to run several virtual servers anyway so might go for 5th HDD in ODD bay as I have several 2.5" HDD's lying around just need to get power cable adaptor from FDD to SATA.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure