View Single Post
Old 10th February 2018, 05:36 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
That Manrose fan I was thinking on using on intake to push fresh air in the miner and hopefully get away without exhaust fan.

Are you using 4 inch or 5 inch ducting? I have bought 4" but now I am thinking I should gave gone 5". As my adapters are still with UPS I got some of these for temporary testing https://www.screwfix.com/p/manrose-s...te-100mm/18561

They are quite restricting and chip temp have gone 80C to 90C and fan from 4500 to 5800 rpm for S9 with 4 feet of ducting on either side of miner. Hopefully the proper adapters will do better. Sound level has gone from 80dB to 70dB inside garage but outside of garage it's pretty much unchanged at around 50dB so it does not really help me neighbours and is a long way from Environment Protection Act of 1997 45dB for daytime and 35dB night time for residential area. I have ordered one of those Manrose fans and signal generator for testing. If it does not work out I might need to give up S9 and D3 and just use L3+ and GPUs.

Also there is no fan settings on these later batch autotune S9s. But there are some people working on custom firmware that will have fand, clock and voltage settings so I might be able to underclock/undervolt S9 and keep it.

Edit:It does seem pretty quite at the end of duct, sound meter still reads about 70dB just like in the free space in garage but putting it next to the side of miner it''s 85dB. I have been offered a non working fridge freezer so will try to cut holes in sides of it for ducts and place the miners inside to see how it goes. Fire safety leaves me a bit worried, need to try and set fire to the inside plastic of fridge and see how fire resistant it is.
I'm using 4 inch ducting, but only on the exhaust side so far. I did consider 6 inch ducting for parts of the run because I'm merging a couple of them together into one ducting (only the lower-power L3+ miners) but it started getting complicated finding the right adaptors, so I stuck with 4 inch throughout. At roughly 80 degrees, the chip temps are probably slightly higher than they would be without the ducting, but they are getting cool air from the cellar. I'm yet to put an S9 down there. I'm planning to encase them first (probably in MDF painted with fire-proof paint) to make them a bit quieter.

Using the extractor fan to push air through the miner is a good idea but it might not work so well on its own. I think it's likely that some of the cool air might escape out of the various openings instead of passing right through, especially on the D3 and L3+ miners since they have that extra grille above the fans. I suspect that's the main reason they have a front and rear fan. You might get away with a quieter fan on the front though, just to ensure some of the cool air over gets pulled over the ASICs at the front end.
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust