View Single Post
Old 25th July 2018, 05:28 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey Blueeyes View Post
Otherwise i'll have to see if someone can pull the box and I get it shipped up there
I asked Mackie's about doing that. It might be worth asking again but I'm pretty sure they said they would need the car. They don't have (or didn't have) the necessary equipment for testing the 5HP boxes off the car.

They do have a courtesy car available. Just the one I think though so you need to make sure they reserve it for you of you need it. If it's the same one they've lent me every time so far, it's a silver Astra (petrol) automatic. I think it may be the slowest thing I've ever driven but it's better (and marginally quicker) than walking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey Blueeyes View Post
Plus when I get to call Mackies to get it booked in, what else shall I ask them to do/look at while they are at it? I am assuming it might be worth getting the F125 switch changed? Do they also do the torque converter? Sorry for my lack of knowledge but I can't afford to get this wrong so any help in dealing with them would be useful.

What do Mackies actually do that is a cut above?
They completely strip and rebuild the entire box, including checking/reconditioning/repairing the torque converter. The F125 switch is not normally included in that but I had them replace mine at the same time. I also had them check/replace the rear diff oil.

I think one of the main differences with Mackie is the warranty. A 3 year / 100,000 mile warranty shows confidence in their work. One point to note though is that you do need to have the gearbox serviced by them every year for the warranty to remain valid. I now have an annual weekend away in Scotland every September/October that starts with a visit to Mackie's on the Thursday afternoon. After letting the transmission cool overnight, they do the service on the Friday morning and I spend the rest of the weekend visiting the area.

EDIT: This was my Mackie invoice:
http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/attachmen...1&d=1532540444
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mackie.PNG
Views:	419
Size:	311.0 KB
ID:	19853  
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust

Last edited by moltuae; 25th July 2018 at 05:43 PM.