View Single Post
Old 6th May 2016, 05:45 PM

back in the day many years ago I used to live near Belper in derbyshire , home of Silkolene , well know for top quality motorcyle oils especially for racing ; now they are owned by Fuchs who make most of the oils own branded for audi/BMW/merc

to cut a long story short I had a conversation with one of their technical people who was a member of the Bridge club I played at , and I happened to mention that I specified a top quality engine oil , saying that I didn't want to risk getting somebody's recycled oil ! he laughed and said that engine oil can be recycled ad nauseum to make top quality oils as it retained it's lubricity ; egg on face !

I think this explains better than I could

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automotive_oil_recycling

I am not saying that maybe the most expensive oils don't have a somewhat longer life by exceeding the spec ..I have no idea whether or not they do ...but as my methodology is to buy the least expensive oil to the correct spec for the engine and change it at fairly low mileages on the basis that pollution in the oil is the killer , it seems anti percentage to pay the premium and then drain it away