View Single Post
Old 18th December 2019, 05:41 PM

I ran the beast on kerosene for a bit today, since I have oil heating at home. I was expecting it to smell like Jet-A1, but curiously I could barely smell it at all, unlike diesel which makes a distinctive, but not unpleasant odour. Kero is 55p a litre so it'll run on that most of the time

An interesting aspect of keeping warm in the winter which I hadn't previously considered is my transport to and from the workshop. My usual daily is an A6 TDI which is barely even blowing warm by the time I've driven the 2.5 miles to the workshop. However, I've been running about in Vod for the last week or so and I have really come to appreciate a large petrol engine which can make warm air within a couple of minutes and, even better, heated recaros! Now I'm warm by the time I get to the workshop, rather than losing heat as soon as I leave the house.

Oh, and the heater is a long way from the first diesel powered thing to enter the workshop I had a different A6 TDI before I bought my grey S8, and have had a bunch of different oil burners since.