View Single Post
Old 18th May 2018, 08:40 PM

Default Antminer B3

Received B3 on Tuesday, it's surprisingly loud for 360W machine, louder than L3+ and I think even D3, somewhere between D3 and S9. Fans seem to run at constant speed, temps very low, around 30C board, 40C chips. Web interface does not show fan speed. Also small number of chips only 12 not 100+ like on other Antminers. Good news are that it does not care about fans being connected and keeps running with exhaust fan disconnected, this brings noise level down comparable to L3+ and does not increase temps. I think I will replace the fans with pair of these and should be enough cooling and low noise to keep in house https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...KL5A1OLE&psc=1 if I decide to keep it long term. As it is running cool I was looking to see if it can be overclocked. There is a hidden 'Advanced settings' page http://IP_Adress/cgi-bin/minerAdvanced.cgi by the looks of it is autotune frequency like later models of S9. Apparently some people changing firmwares and using hidden page have overclocked their autotune S9s some even running 19TH/s+ with submerged cooling, but it did not seem to have any effect on B3.

As far as the profitability goes at launch it would have made 200+ BTM/day at a price over $1, at the moment it's a bit over 20 BTM @ $0.62 with about £0.1/day running costs, no section for them on MRR yet. So while not great it is still well above likes of S9 or L3+ especially when you take power costs in account.

Interesting fact also that Bitmains 1st gen AI chips turned out to be bust with sub par performance with them promising that 2nd gen will be on par with nVidia. That makes me wonder if they just found another use for their 1st gen AI chips in B3 and if nVidia chips could be used to mine Tensority algorithm with increased performance and if there is another more efficient Tensority miner with gen2 chips from Bitmain just around the corner. With B3 prices on e-bay being £2.5k+ I might try to sell ours and take a bit of profit as it only cost us £1227 all in including delivery and taxes at the BTC prices on the day of purchase and then maybe just buy some BTM with the profits from sale as the it is interesting and shows some promise with the backing Bitmain.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure