View Single Post
Old 10th June 2019, 07:35 AM

Turns out the CV boot was split. £89 (all in) later, the old girl has a new CV boot fitted and a fresh ticket for another year. The EML itself doesn't bother me because i know the emissions are spot on. And a tenner for the MOT means less than £100 all in - not bad for a car approaching 20yo!

One point I feel I should mention - the Halfords special offer of a £10 MOT was a great offer - but just be careful: If the car fails the MOT and you get the repairs done elsewhere, they will charge you a retest fee of £14.99, even if it's within the 10-day retest period.

Halfords quoted me £130 (all in) to fix the CV boot and retest, however I was able to get the repair done slightly cheaper elsewhere for £89. When I called to book it back in, it was only then that they told me about the £14.99 retest fee - when I pointed out that they never told me that information at any time, the chap did it for free (probably because it was so quick to just check that CV boot - and because he was a really nice bloke as it happens).

So the moral of the story is to factor in that extra £14.99 when getting the repairs done elsewhere (even factoring that in, I would've still saved myself about 15 quid but you get the point). I'll check the confirmation emails for the booking, see if it's in the small print anywhere...