View Single Post
Old 17th January 2019, 11:09 PM

Its an AQJ from a C5 S6 which is what I have in the Dolphin Grey. Mechanically identical to the S8 engine but with different software. Not sure of the mileage tbh - I didn't care when I bought it because I thought it was scrap. I'll have to power up the cluster to check.

The car was scrapped because of an alleged head gasket failure. The OP's garage changed the oil cooler because it was mixing oil with the coolant. It managed 7 miles with the new cooler and mixed more oil in the coolant so they said head gasket and it was scrapped. I picked up the engine for £200 simply because I wanted the wiring and plumbing (to put Vera's old engine in my A4 track car), but it came complete with everything - ancillaries, coil packs, manifolds, etc. The only downside was that I had to take it out of the car on the guy's driveway in December! Meh. It was in the back of the A6 in under 2 hours

Having got it home and had a good look at it, I am reasonably convinced it's actually ok and the garage who changed the cooler simply didn't flush the cooling system fully, because the majority of the contents of the cooling system was plain water, running around inside the coating of emulsion. I've never seen or heard of one of these popping the head gasket, and there is no evidence of fresh oil in the water that has come out of it.

So, I figure its worth cleaning up and refreshing and I'll chuck it in something to see what it does. If it actually works then its a major bargain. If it doesn't then I'll pull it out and change the head gaskets. Worst case, I've got two good heads, a good inlet manifold and all the ancillaries for £200 which is win-win.

As to what it's going in... wait and see