View Single Post
Old 20th January 2018, 09:28 AM

I dont have a sunroof, so can rule that one out at least.

I have tried looking for errors/fault codes, but I cant find any mention of them at all in VCDS. I can find heated mirrors but no auto dimming. No errors for them come up in auto scans. VCDS didnt run very well on my little windows tablet (no communication with the majority of modules) It works better on my big laptop, although that is what I used last time and still couldnt find any mention of the auto dimming mirrors.

Checking measuring blocks for how bright it thinks the lights are (assuming I could find them in VCDS) wouldnt achieve much as they work perfectly when they do work.

Coding them out altogether is not an option as the problem is the dazzle from drivers behind in the rear view - it's only the wing mirrors which darken permanently (when in fault), the rear view stays bright.

This only happens when starting the car from cold. To me it seems like the starter is drawing so much from the battery that the voltage supplied to the roof module is reduced causing the fault.

i dont know whether the power management module is meant to prevent this and is therefore at fault, or how to test it. It may be that the battery itself is knackered. With the starting problems that i had, the car was getting jump started pretty much daily, and turning a dead engine for ages at a time until it caught so it could well be FUBAR. I have two batteries for it, and they are both much the same.

I checked the battery in the land rover last night and it is 850 CCA. not as much as I'd like, but it should do to test the battery hypothesis. After that I suppose I can only really try the shotgun parts technique and change out the roof module and try that, if not, the the battery management module would be my next guess. Guessing however is as good as it gets at the moment.

Worst case scenario, I'll fit the manual rear view out of the D2. It will mean no ambient lighting and no map reading lights (different wiring connectors) but I can at least flip the little tab at the bottom to darken the mirror when Mr I-dont-care-if-its-not-foggy-I'm-driving-a-corsa-and-am-therefore-better-than-you-and-Im-going-to-blind-you-with-my-foglights-like-a-**** is driving right up my tailpipe looking like a spaceship.

gill
1990 Land Rover 90 factory county station wagon with all the luxury additions, such as a clock and a tape player.
2007 A4 3.0TDi s-line cabriolet quattro
2000 A8 D2 2.8 quattro, looking for a new home - gone
2003 A6 3.0 quattro, in the way... anyone want any parts? - gone