View Single Post
Old 24th January 2018, 07:18 PM

Default Nextbase 512GW Dashcam and D5 demo

So car back with new boot module and dashcam fitted. To get the correct feed, they had to wire it back to the fuse box in the boot, so 3 hours, but well worth it, no visible wires.

Now to the D5 which I had for 2 days - was a standard wheelbase car, with few options that were evident. My initial reaction was that it was quieter than my D4 and a slightly better ride, but it had 19” wheels rather than my 20”, but upondriving mine again tonight, the ride and noise was not noticeably different, so perhaps I wanted to think the D5 was better in both regards.

The exterior change is quite subtle, so without the D4 alongside, not immediately apparent it is different, unless you know your 8’s.

Inside, it appeared to have standard seats, although they had climate seats, which in the configurator is only available on Comfort seats, but if they were comfort seats, I could not adjust the bolsters like I can in my D4.

The centre panel is now pretty much two screens, covered in fingerprints, but the MMI wheels and controls have gone, relying totally on the touchscreen. I can operate it when stationary, but on the move very hit and miss, as you need to hit the button exactly, and at a certain speed and pressure - thank god it had adaptive cruise and lane keep assist to mask the fumbling. On this count, whilst the graphics are fantastic, it is a miss in terms of both control and position, so in my view the flip up screen on my D4 is positioned much better for glancing across at.

Other strange things are the size of the gear selector, much bigger than D4, and the way in which the door handles work - you have to operate from underneath, rather than from the front - really strange and definately not second nature.

Last point, no analogue clock in the centre of the dash - and I really missed it.

Overall, nice car and no doubt I will have one after the D4, but more evolution rather than revolution and would want more spec, like better speakers, which I think are all variants of B&O now, but the lack of MMI control that you can operate without looking is my biggest issue.

Neil popped along for our mini-meet and we went for a drive, so interested in his view too.

Cheers
Mark

Last edited by Markr; 24th January 2018 at 07:24 PM.