Thread: Lifting an S8
View Single Post
Old 17th January 2022, 06:52 PM

I have the same problem as a friend has a TT. I bought a big 4-ton lift for picking up S8s and it will only just go small enough to pick up the TT! There's literally one spot the TT can go to be picked up - if its off to the side or not straight, not happening.

You definitely can't lift a D2 on the sills - they are a fairly simple box section, rather than the multiple-layers you'd find on steel cars with pinch-weld seams. The lifting points are complex castings welded in to the rest of the frame, rather than just a designated spot on the pinch weld.

Are you measuring from the rubber lifting pads on the S8 or the scissor-jack points? The lifting pads are further inboard so may be less of a struggle to reach. I can measure the width tomorrow if that would help?

Do you have the height for a lift? Cheap 2 posters come up on Facebook marketplace surprisingly often although you'll pay a premium for a single-phase version as all the DIYers are after those. 3 phase versions can often be had for peanuts.