View Single Post
Old 8th April 2009, 10:42 PM

Angry 02 S8 Gearbox Knackered

Well, a few of you know I bought my S8 in January. I love the car. I took it to Chester Auto Transmissions and had a full Tech Tronix service at the end of January, even though there were no issues with the 'box. 2 months later, my gearbox starts jumping out of gear, slipping and thumping into first or during kickdown. I drove the car for 400 miles this week and it's driveable as long as I set off very slowly and build up speed slowly. As soon as I try kickdown or pull away fast, the box screams, slips and lurches forward with a huge thump. Methinks the primary clutch or torque converter is screwed. Worst bit is that the box started only started whining after the service (even the wife noticed the extra noise). I can't help thinking that it would have been fine if I'd left it alone (even CAT admitted that fresh oil can dislodge gunk in the gearbox that's keeping seals and components in place). After paying 238 quid 3 months ago and insisting on Esso ATF (not Dexxron 6), the gearbox fails. I'm one p**sed off cookie. Another 2K bill on it's way.

Even more pee'd off because my old '94 BMW 325 TDS motorway chomper is still running like a dream with minimal maintenance for the bloke I gave it to (yes..gave it to..no cost).

I've decided to refurb the wheels and get the 'box rebuilt. I'll do a full cambelt service too. If she gives me any problems after that..she's going off a cliff!