View Single Post
Old 6th December 2018, 07:56 PM

Default Glow Plug - Good news

My EDC light has been flashing for a few weeks and VCDS reported it as a Glow Plug 2 bad circuit, or some such nonsense.
Usual Audi problems, are they ceramic or steel? My knowledgeable Indie says they are all steel in the D3 but according to this forum my year (2004) there was a mix!!!
I've been preparing for the change of Nş 2 only 'cos to do them all defo needs things removing from the top of the lump. How to prepare? Carry a can of WD40 with a nozzle and after every longish run spray the glow plug. The contracting as it cools drags?? the WD40 into the threads hopefully making it easier to remove.
Drove to my Indie this morning.
Big problem, the socket will not fit between the rail and the cylinder head to reach the glow plug.

Had to push the socket through sort of from the front, then using a thin magnet manoeuvring it over the plug. Forgot to mention that pulling the connector off the glow plug broke the plastic surround but I'm not replacing the cable to fit a good plastic bit.
Tried to unscrew the plug, dead easy, but only for a few turns. Presumably carbon on the inner threads. WD40 spray, tighten and untighten a couple of times and it was free. Recover socket using magnet and a hook. Snipe nose pliers down the small gap, grip the plug and pull it out. You've got to be having a laugh. It just wobbled up and down but would not come out, probably carbon on the shank. We tried all sorts without any luck.
Last chance saloon, stupid brainwave, fire the engine and switch off as soon as it fired resulted in the socket extension flying out of the engine area and landing on the floor.
Removed all the loose things that were lying around, pulled the plug upwards as far as we could. Stood back, took cover and started the engine. the engine ran OK then there was one hell of a big bang and glow plug 2 was flying. It hit the garage wall rather high up and vanished. We found it behind the car about ten minutes after we had ordered a new metal. Luckily it was metal.
New plug arrived, measured against the one with flight capabilities and it was similar. New one fitted a lot easier than the old coming out, fired the engine and the EDC light was flashing but I thought I could clear that with VCDS.
Then realised the EDC had gone off. My Indie said that's normal, it should reset itself.
Drove home, no EDC light. Result.
Cost? He wanted £40 for his time and the new plug was a gift.
I paid cash & made him have the extra tenner for the plug, then supplied half a dozen cream cakes and cheese and onion crisps.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)