View Single Post
Old 21st October 2016, 10:33 AM

It's noticeable how different the colour of the 2 cat substrates is - the nearside one is a nice dark grey colour, as you'd expect. The offside is a mixture of dark grey and an increasing amount of light grey as the substrate smashes itself to pieces and works its way out of the back!

Andrew - that's fortunate, as I think from reading the exchange bit of Etka it suggested there needed to be some content left to reclaim! Maybe the box alone is enough, as at least that can be cleaned up and effectively go through the same process mine are having done.

The company I'm using suggests it's essential to get both done as the replacement substrates will be suitable different to OEM that you might experience some running issues if one bank is different to the other. Not an issue if you go the OEM route as you can be confident the properties are the same.

The nearside lambda is the one that's refused to play ball on mine too - luckily the other one is further up, so doesn't need to be removed. Offside ones came out OK after heating. That's adding another £100+ to the bill. I need to mention it in the letter to the company to make sure they clean and check the threads. I'm assuming they would anyway, but knowing one is buggered I'll make sure by mentioning it.

Conquistador - I went through a similar thought process, but the only place local to me that would fit sports cats wasn't giving me confidence it'd be anything other than a bodge job using flexi pipes. I believe one option to prevent CEL coming on is to fit a spacer under the lambda probe so it sniffs a slightly less central bit of the gas flow, which is enough for it not to detect the occasional bit of over-fueling post cats.

Because of where I work and the legislation I'm responsible for managing I don't want to be doing anything that would be in any way illegal, irrespective of the likelihood of being caught out by it being virtually nil. The car passed its MOT with a knocking cat, but suspect it was working well enough at that point. When the new ones are on I'll ask the local MOT station if they'd mind running the gas analyser on the car to check the new ones are working as expected.

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC