View Single Post
Old 10th April 2013, 04:38 PM

It's had RKill run on it which finds rootkits etc and shuts the processes down when running in Safe mode. It's then had full scans with Malwarebytes run through it a couple of times, AVG antivirus too, then Windows System File checker (system32\services.exe was pulled up as infected but couldn't be repaired by Malwarebytes or AVG) which replaced that file.

Wasn't impressed by AVG so removed that and replaced by Avast which found a load of historic Java vulnerabilities (probably ones long since patched) but otherwise clean - that's doing full system scans and a DOS based boot scan as well.

The issue I have now is that the virus has disabled and/or deleted various system processes including Background Intelligent Transfer Service which means windows update refuses to run.

RKill originally pulled up these disabled services:

BFE [Missing Service]
* BITS [Missing Service]
* iphlpsvc [Missing Service]
* MpsSvc [Missing Service]
* WinDefend [Missing Service]
* wscsvc [Missing Service]
* wuauserv [Missing Service]

Haven't run it since realising what this means but I'm mid-repair with someone on Malwarebytes forum. I'm not using it now anyway - it's not connected to the internet either

ETA - it will get rebuilt in any case so my intention is to get it as robust as I can so I minimise the risk of transferring dodgy files to a clean install. Will disconnect the HDD when I do the clean install on another HDD, whether I go SSD or not

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC

Last edited by Adrian E; 10th April 2013 at 04:45 PM.