View Single Post
Old 7th July 2017, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moltuae View Post
With the PS hoses at least, I suppose it should be possible to have new ones custom made, assuming they use standard couplings/ends.
They don't Tried that.

The pressure hose has a rather fancy fitting at the pump end with a small nozzle inside it leading to a 3mm nylon tube inside the main hose. When Mike & I were looking at it I think we concluded it was constant pressure, variable flow. Further research suggests it also has a noise reduction role. I do know that without it the pump whines constantly as I originally replaced mine with a simple piece of 10mm hydraulic hose after seeing the price of a new OE hose.

After 6 months of over-assisted noisy steering I gave up and bought a good used hose from our sponsors which I de-rusted and painted, and paired that with a new old stock return hose which I found on ebay. No more whine, and much better weigh to the steering.

I daresay it will be possible to contrive something similar when there are no more new or used hoses left but its going to be quite complicated to do.