View Single Post
Old 20th August 2016, 05:37 PM

Well, it took a long time, a lots of puzzles, but the new EGR cooler bypass valve was fitted. It was £122 trade plus £75 for sundries, coolant, seals, pipes and unions etc.. also includes a new engine cover Audi emblem (£12) as the old one was lost before my ownership.

To keep the cost down, I didn't replace the seals between the lower manifolds and head and lower and upper manifolds as they were still quite deep and soft, I just cleaned them.

Now I get the engine light on and the same code as before but instead of intermittent it is every journey, but not a waste of time as the peformance is better with all that greasy soot gone, 2-3 valve ports were more than 50% blocked. I also removed that butterfly plate and stopped the smoke leaking out of the part I replaced. The EGR gas should now be cooled when it is supposed to be.
I still get the insufficient flow code but I did damage the thin vacuum pipes in several places as they had gone really brittle. I joined them together with red heatshrink tubing (see photo) and if the ends snapped off, just stuck them back into the rubber joints. I will order new ones but looks to be £90 for the set of 3.

Last edited by snapdragon; 23rd April 2020 at 08:19 AM.