View Single Post
Old 2nd May 2019, 01:21 PM

Default F125 Switch Replacement - Need Confirmation of Which One I Need

With the car recently going through the MOT cleanly and with no advisories, I've finally decided to tackle the intermittent F125 switch and the rear output shaft seal together (as I'm starting to get that 'aroma' again - was replaced four years ago). I already have a seal, but need to order up the switch, and want to double/triple check I order the right one.

Using ETKA for guidance, there are two possible switches that I could have for my AKC engine, an 8-pin and a 10-pin, depending on VIN number. Now, looking at the F125 switch replacement guide here:

http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articl...chreplace.html

it shows the end of the 8-pin switch:

and this is an image I found of the 10-pin switch:

If we look at this image from the F125 guide:

we see two cables running to the left side and then below the green id plate. If I am correct, then the one with the red box around it is going into the valve body, and the one marked with an arrow is the F125 switch (although the connector is only just visible).

Now, I didn't follow this second cable to its destination (as the car was on the ground with the wheel turned out), but I did disconnect it at the arrow and it matches the image of the 10-pin one above (a flattened D-shape with 10 connectors, although only 9 occupied). That sort of confirms that I need the 10-pin version, but by way of triple checking it, can someone (ahem, MJ) confirm from the VIN and ETKA, that the 10-pin is correct.

This is what ETKA shows for the F125 switch:

and my VIN number is WAUZZZ4D92N002072.

The VIN descriptions in ETKA have always confused me, but since my car appears to have the 10-pin connector, does the descriptions shown sort of translate to 'if your VIN is greater than 4D-1-000 001 then you need the 10-pin, but if it's less than 4B-Y-020 000 then you need the 8-pin'.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F125switch.png
Views:	4274
Size:	761.5 KB
ID:	21506   Click image for larger version

Name:	NewF125Switch.png
Views:	3613
Size:	162.9 KB
ID:	21507   Click image for larger version

Name:	NewF125Switch8pin.png
Views:	2978
Size:	640.1 KB
ID:	21508   Click image for larger version

Name:	F125switchOptions.png
Views:	2779
Size:	5.1 KB
ID:	21509  

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds