Thread: Oil usage
View Single Post
Old 15th December 2015, 08:34 PM

Question Oil usage

1996 4.2QS ABZ

Uses lots of oil. Like a litre every 500 miles or so, possibly a bit more. It may leak a bit (there is a leak from somewhere around the oil filter housing) but not that much. There is no oil in the water.

I have seen the odd puff of smoke on start-up (more often when warm) but not that often. No visible smoke when driving. Exhaust does not smell like it's burning oil when cold and the cats are still working so no smell at all once warm. Seems to go ok. I've not yet inspected the plugs to see if they show signs of oil burning. I've not compression tested it either, but aim to do both soon.

Oil was changed just before I got the car (about 2,500 miles ago), PO said he used 5 -30 synthetic. I've been topping up with 10-40.

Indicated mileage is 139k. However, though there is quite a bit of history, there is not enough to verify this. My guess from the general condition of the car is that it's done more, possibly alot more (my 284k '96 C4 A6 seems less knackered in all respects!).

I did replace the (completely disintegrated) breather pipes when I first got the car.

Are there any known failure points - valve stem seals, bore coatings etc that are known to cause excessive oil use?

Thanks

Nick