View Single Post
Old 11th January 2020, 08:45 AM

I have never used Brembo but I have plenty of experience with other aftermarket brands and OEM .

In essence regular brake discs are pretty simple and made of relatively cheap cast iron but real life use results vary a lot.

I have used plenty of cheap discs, none of them have shuttered or caused a catastrophic failure and braking efficiency does not seem to suffer but they do seem to wear a lot faster and really when you need to change pads you also need to change discs as well while OEM can do 2-3 sets of pads on the same disc, but then again some of those cheap discs have been as low as £12 so economically speaking it does not make difference. Most of the cheap discs does not have any coating while others including OEM have some coating. Zimmermann Z-coat is highly rated but in my experience they were no better than OEM or ATE, about 2 years before they are all rusted up. To my surprise Febi fared much better, 2 years and no sign of corrosion.

The biggest difference I have noticed is if you leave car without driving outside for 1 month+. The cheap discs corrode a lot more, eat up outside of pads and basically become unusable pretty soon. OEM discs on the other hand can easily take 3 months of no use with just a little bit of surface rust which cleans up nicely as you drive again and does not cause any issues.

To sum it up I would say that if you do little mileage and leave car unused for 2+ weeks go with OEM, they will last forever. if it's a daily driver some of the cheap discs are cheap enough to change them every time you change pads without compromising safety or braking efficiency and the money you saved would be better invested in good tyres.

Just another note. Pagid was decent quality brand a while ago but from what I understand EuroCarParts have bought the rights to use that brand name in UK but actual parts can be made by any Tom, Dick or Harry so quality will vary and in most of times parts will be provided by lowest bidder and quality may suffer.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure

Last edited by ainarssems; 11th January 2020 at 08:49 AM.