Thread: Alfa Brera
View Single Post
Old 10th April 2017, 06:43 AM

I've always been on the fence about the Brera and I could never exactly pin-point why.

To put thing into perspective, I'm 30 - just - and have owned, thus far

156, 1.8TS Sport Pack 3
166, 3.0 V6 Super
156, GTA 3.2 V6
156, 1.9 JTD-M Sport
147, 1.6TS Lusso
GTV, 2.0TS
159, 1.9 JTDM Lusso

Even now I also own a Fiat Stilo Abarth, so it's fair to say I like my Alfas and my Italian cars.

Brera is the same platform as the 159 too but the 159 never felt quite as nice to drive as the 147/156 platform. It was less engaging. For a bigger heavier car - built for american market to an extent - it actually had more overall grip but it never inspired the confidence to use it like the previous generations did. The engines also became more GM derived and the range lost the famous Busso V6s that powered the previous generations, which disappointed the purists. Something to do with emissions regs I believe.

The looks on the Brera did disappoint a little, particularly on the lesser spec they didn't look right on tiny wheels. If you could find something like a pro-drive with panaramic roof they sat lower on bigger wheels and looked far more pleasing. Interior combs were similarly hit and miss.

Only reason I dont have an Alfa now is that none of the current range floated my boat at all. The 147/156/GT platform is getting a bit long in the tooth now and the 159/Brera/Spider platform just isn't the fun product you'd hope for. The Giulietta and MiTo are just plain cheap and nasty glum places to be.

I do however anticipate a deposit on a Giulia at some point soon, maybe early next year unless they have some good pre-reg deals in Sept or something.

Factory: finger print, tv, xenons, keyless entry & go, soft close boot, 19s, and probably lots more besides

Done: fixed headlight washer leak, fit Bluetooth in place of factory phone

To do: DAB, DTV, fix soft close boot, get a spare key, investigate NSF bushes,